Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Varying Batter angles

Hi All.
I work as a geotech consultant and we have a number of projects where we need to model and calculate for different batter slopes within different materials i.e. rock at 0.25H:1V, but overlying soils at 1H:1V or 2H:1V.  

Another scenario is having different batters on the different sides of a cut, i.e. cut into rock which has bedding on an incline the cut batter with the bedded coming out of the rock is at 1H:1V but where it is into the rock can have 0.25H:1V and 0.5H:1V along the other sides.

It would be useful to be able to click on a cut face and specify the batter for that face.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2018, 01:50 PM by Ted Woods. Edit Reason: Added images to replace the ones which were accidentally deleted during a forum migration. )

(12-20-2017, 09:33 AM)GTipp Wrote: Hi All.
I work as a geotech consultant and we have a number of projects where we need to model and calculate for different batter slopes within different materials i.e. rock at 0.25H:1V, but overlying soils at 1H:1V or 2H:1V.  

Another scenario is having different batters on the different sides of a cut, i.e. cut into rock which has bedding on an incline the cut batter with the bedded coming out of the rock is at 1H:1V but where it is into the rock can have 0.25H:1V and 0.5H:1V along the other sides.

It would be useful to be able to click on a cut face and specify the batter for that face.

Hi GTipp

Welcome to the forums.  We have been experimenting with this and are actually at the implementation stage with our marine dredging module in Kubla Ports.  When that is released we will look at implementing it also in Kubla Cubed so thanks for the feedback.

In the meantime there is a solution that can work quite well.  To use it you have to understand that earthworks elements on the same phase are basically 'merged' together.  The trick here is to define your inner earthworks with the steepest side slopes and step them back a bit from the true perimeter where you need to adjust the batter. Then add in 'filler' pieces to fill to the edges with different batter slopes, you can then set the side slope on these.  I have attached an example file for you to take a look at.  It uses platforms however you could do the same thing with a Feature Surface, a Slope element or a Path.

The above image shows a platform that has the north and south edges defined with separate 'filler' platforms with different batter angles.  The inner platform has the steepest slopes and the north and south pieces has shallower batter angles.

In 3D you can clearly see how the side slopes are different around this platform.

In most cases I think this method should provide the functionality you need.

I would recommend if you are doing this method to build up the edges first and then fill in middle at the end.  To use this method you have to understand how earthworks elements in the same phase are merged together to create a single proposed surface and then cut and fill is calculated after that step.  The calculation order is something that also needs to be understood (Read the User Manual : Defining Proposed Ground -> Calculation Order for more information) although it does not effect the above example I do not think.

It also might be worth taking advantage of the 'Mode' which would allow you to set the fillet piece to just 'cut' or 'fill' when necessary.

I would recommend giving it a try and then viewing in 3D to make sure you are getting the right idea.  Feel free to send us the .kcp file to check over.

Hi Ted,

Now that is very handy [Image: thumbsup.png]

Cheers

Tim