Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

XY Offset Suggestion

Good afternoon All,
I'm currently working on a road project and the drawings only show a finished plan view, but I need to prepare a cut and fill calculation to include a 1.1m offset outward of the finished surface edge. 
For example the road is 7.3m wide but the width of dig would be 9.5m.
Is this possible with the current version, and if not could I possibly add it to the list of possible future inclusions.
Kind Regards
Tim

(04-23-2019, 01:45 PM)TimO Wrote: Good afternoon All,
I'm currently working on a road project and the drawings only show a finished plan view, but I need to prepare a cut and fill calculation to include a 1.1m offset outward of the finished surface edge. 
For example the road is 7.3m wide but the width of dig would be 9.5m.
Is this possible with the current version, and if not could I possibly add it to the list of possible future inclusions.
Kind Regards
Tim

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately, this isn't possible to do in Kubla Cubed at the moment.  I think it's a great idea, and actually I've had a need for that myself in the past.  I'll add it to the list of feature requests.  Like a lot of things, it's easy to do from a technical point of view, but it always takes us a little while to work out where we can fit it into the interface.

If you use CAD you can certainly do it in there, using the new copy and paste functionality in our software.

You can draw the line in Kubla Cubed.  Then select the line, cut (Ctrl+X, or from the menu), and then paste (Ctrl+V) into your CAD program.  CAD always requires a base point, whereas Cubed will just use the origin (0,0).  You will be prompted to type a destination when you paste into CAD, so just type 0,0 and it will be pasted in.  You will need to zoom to extents to see it.

You can then use the CAD offset command by typing 'OFFSET'.  It will ask you the offset distance (1.1 in your case) and then prompt you to click which side of the line you want to offset to.  Once you have done this should see your offset line.  

Lastly you need to copy this line back into Cubed.  To do this select the offset line and use Ctrl+C to copy in CAD, and then paste that back into Cubed with 'Ctrl+V' or from the menu.

Hope this helps!

Leo

Thank you Leo,
Shall give it a try.
Cheers
Tim

Hi Tim,
In the new update for Kubla Cubed 2021 (version 6.2) there is a new offset tool which will allow you to offset a road outline by 2.2m (which you requested in this thread).

1. Click Edit on a Feature Surface or Element (or be in the editor view).
2. Select the Offset tool from the Editing Tools menu.
3. Select the line you wish to offset.
4. Position your crosshair cursor and click to confirm which side of the original line you want the new line to be added to.
5. In the bottom menu bar, specify the Distance relative to the original line (how far the new line will be placed from the original).
6. Specify the relative Z adjustment (the new line's elevation relative to the original).
7. The preview will display after valid data has been entered and the user has deselected the input boxes.
8. Check the preview is what you want, and update the Distance and Z Adjustment, as required.
9. Press the 'Finish' button.

By default the Distance is 1 and the Z Adjustment is 0.00.

I hope this helps with future projects and saves you from editing in CAD.

Kate
<p><br></p>