Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

UK NATIONAL LiDAR DATABASE

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2024, 05:30 PM by Kasael.)

Many of you will have been in the situation where you are asked to price a large cut to fill job, where the Client hasn't provided a topographical survey and there isn't time to do a site survey.

Recently I have been using the Defra national LiDAR survey, Defra Survey Data Download to download the survey data into QGIS for conversion into contour lines to upload into Kubla Cubed.

I have also managed to use QGIS to produce a 1 x 1m point cloud for upload into KC, when I haven't got time to label the contours.

However, a word of warning, make sure that the site topography hasn't changed since the LiDAR survey was undertaken!

There is similar LiDAR data available for Wales, View map | DataMapWales (gov.wales) if the Defra survey doesn't cover the area your interested in and probably something similar for Scotland, but I've had no need to look for it.

Maybe the team at Kubla Cubed could look into QGIS further, to explore faster ways to integrate the two programmes.

Ian

PS If you are interested in how I process this data, leave some feedback and I will go into more detail if there is enough interest.