Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Help on Designing existing Terrain

I have designed the existing terrain and upon hitting the save button there are several data conflicts in my lines that come up in a window.  How do I find out which ones so I can make the changes.  It gives me a list but I am having difficulting finding out which ones they are.  Also I do not want to lose my work as I have spent over an defining the elevations with outlines, points, and countour line.  Please advise.  SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT.

(05-04-2017, 01:07 PM)ehardoon Wrote: I have designed the existing terrain and upon hitting the save button there are several data conflicts in my lines that come up in a window.  How do I find out which ones so I can make the changes.  It gives me a list but I am having difficulting finding out which ones they are.  Also I do not want to lose my work as I have spent over an defining the elevations with outlines, points, and countour line.  Please advise.  SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT.

Hi ehardoon

Welcome to Kubla Central Forums!

Two of your contour lines are crossing at different levels. This causes an error as at the point where they cross the mathematical model has contradictory information.  The validation form should give you the index in the list of the problem contour lines (in this case [0] and [2]).  Select each one in turn and you should be able to see where they intersect.  Double click on one and you can move or delete the definition points individual so they no longer intersect.

Alternatively if you do want lines to intersect each other then you need to be using break lines instead of contour lines.  Break lines can intersect other break lines and other contour lines.  However judging from your screenshot this is just a case of two contour lines intersecting.

(05-04-2017, 02:27 PM)Ted Woods Wrote:
(05-04-2017, 01:07 PM)ehardoon Wrote: I have designed the existing terrain and upon hitting the save button there are several data conflicts in my lines that come up in a window.  How do I find out which ones so I can make the changes.  It gives me a list but I am having difficulting finding out which ones they are.  Also I do not want to lose my work as I have spent over an defining the elevations with outlines, points, and countour line.  Please advise.  SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT.

Hi ehardoon

Welcome to Kubla Central Forums!

Two of your contour lines are crossing at different levels. This causes an error as at the point where they cross the mathematical model has contradictory information.  The validation form should give you the index in the list of the problem contour lines (in this case [0] and [2]).  Select each one in turn and you should be able to see where they intersect.  Double click on one and you can move or delete the definition points individual so they no longer intersect.

Alternatively if you do want lines to intersect each other then you need to be using break lines instead of contour lines.  Break lines can intersect other break lines and other contour lines.  However judging from your screenshot this is just a case of two contour lines intersecting.

Just to clarify Ted's point about the break lines above - break lines cannot cross other lines at different levels either.  You would have the same problem that the software cannot know the true level of the crossing point, given this contradictory information.  The only difference with break lines is that you can tell the validator to resolve the problem by adding a point to one of the break lines at the crossing point, and give that point the same level as the other line it crosses.  The validator can't do this for contour lines because the level of a contour line is fixed throughout, so it can't change the level at the crossing point.