Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

LandXML Surface Boundary Being Ignored

Hey all, I am importing a triangle surface in XML formal which was created in Civil 3D 2018. When imported into Kubla Cubed the boundary is ignored and there is cut/fill applied where it shouldn't be. I have tried creating a cropped surface and exporting that as a LandXML - that worked for my Existing Ground surface, but not the Future ground surface and I have no idea why. Any ideas?

(09-21-2020, 07:42 PM)LGEO_2020 Wrote: Hey all, I am importing a triangle surface in XML formal which was created in Civil 3D 2018. When imported into Kubla Cubed the boundary is ignored and there is cut/fill applied where it shouldn't be. I have tried creating a cropped surface and exporting that as a LandXML - that worked for my Existing Ground surface, but not the Future ground surface and I have no idea why. Any ideas?

Hi LGEO_2020

Welcome to the forums!

I am not quite sure totally what is going on with the situation you describe.  I think it sounds like from Civil3D you are exporting a triangulation as well as a boundary.  You have a complete triangulation of the surface, but in Kubla cubed you only want a section of it to be used to compared to the ground surface, is this correct ?

At the moment a Triangle surface will use the whole triangulation and is not cropped or extended to a boundary line, if there is one in the LandXML file it is being ignored.  We have added this requirement though to the road map as we have seen the benefit of this, not only cropping the triangulation but also extending it if needed sometimes .

There is a workaround we have for you, it is quite hard to follow, so if you get stuck let me know : 

1. In the existing define a feature surface using the boundary you want to crop the triangulation to.   Use a fixed level or varying levels boundary roughly at the heights of the triangulation. 

2. In the next proposed phase import your triangle surface, (note: it will only cover the area defined by the existing boundary.)

3. Export to CAD or LandXML the proposed surface making sure (disturbance area only) is ticked.  

You can then use this surface that has been cropped to a boundary.

If you have problems following this feel free to e-mail the files you have to support and we can guide you through it either via e-mail or a screen share session.

There also might be a way to export from CAD Civil3D only the triangulation part needed, it might be worth posting to a Civil3D forum to see if this is possible.