Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Earthworks Quantities by Depth (SMM7)

Good afternoon everyone,

I have recently started using kubla cubed to generate cut and fill earthworks quantities for use in BoQs and have ran into a problem.

SMM7, the method of measurement I am using, requires depths of excavation to be given as not exceeding 0.25m, 1m, 2m, 4m, 6m depths and so on.

Is there a way that kubla cubed can provide this information in the way I need?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kye

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2021, 11:46 AM by Ted Woods.)

(06-01-2021, 11:10 AM)kclark08 Wrote: Good afternoon everyone,

I have recently started using kubla cubed to generate cut and fill earthworks quantities for use in BoQs and have ran into a problem.

SMM7, the method of measurement I am using, requires depths of excavation to be given as not exceeding 0.25m, 1m, 2m, 4m, 6m depths and so on.

Is there a way that kubla cubed can provide this information in the way I need?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kye

Unfortunately, there is no current tool which allows this operation in the software.  There is a work around (see below), but it is quite awkward to implement.  

We do have this feature planned for a release in 2022.  A special exporter where you can either choose a default of SMM7 or NRM2 or specify your own depth breakdown.  We expect this to be released in about a years time.  We may have a beta ready if you check back in 6 months or so which you can try out.  There is a post about his topic on our forums if you wish to contribute here : 

https://www.forums.kublasoftware.com/showthread.php?tid=67&highlight=smm7

WORKAROUND :

I believe you could accomplish this with a little extra maths, by offsetting the existing surface in Z (you can offset an existing surface by amending its properties).

Lets imagine a simple scenario whereby you have Existing and Proposed surface.  By raising the existing surface in Z by 2m  you will be able to see an amount of cut disappear.  The figure missing would be the cut of depth 2m and below.  Raise by another 2m and the additional cut missing would be 2-4m etc...

Things will become more complicated with multiple phases however.  If you did have multiple phases I would export the final phase model to XML and import it back into a project with only existing->proposed and repeat the above procedure.

It is a pretty clunky workaround but might give you something to work with for now.  If you do try it please report back so others can follow this method.  We added the Z offset option into the existing surface for this reason buy so far have not heard of anyone using it in this way.  They might well be but are just not telling us about it.

Let me know if you have any further questions about the workaround and I would be happy to show you the new tool when it is released in 2022.  I have spoken to one of our engineers who wrote the calculation engine, and he has said it should be quite possible and he will start work on it probably this year.  At the moment we have prioritised other things such as CAD Intergrations but we will be doing this next year as it is one of the most requested features.

Do we have this issue resolved on the current version of Kubla?

(12-01-2023, 10:00 AM)amrohfk Wrote: Do we have this issue resolved on the current version of Kubla?

Hi Amrohfk,

Thank your for your question and welcome to the Kubla Forum.

The current version (at time of writing being Kubla Cubed 2021) does not have this feature. Integration requirements with other new features has delayed completion.

However, we intend to support SMM7 and NRM2 in our new 'Kubla Cubed 2024' product, due for release February 2024. We will announce the new version in a newsletter.

Cheers,
Rich