Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Problem Using CAD topo surveys

Hoping someone has a simple solution to this - every time I try and use a DWG file to generate contours I get an error message 'File does not contain any surfaces'. The data is 3D so not sure what the issue is?

Thanks in advance!

(09-08-2021, 04:38 PM)timetomaketracks Wrote: Hoping someone has a simple solution to this - every time I try and use a DWG file to generate contours I get an error message 'File does not contain any surfaces'. The data is 3D so not sure what the issue is?

Thanks in advance!

Hi timetomaketracks,

DWG files can contain a variety of different 3D data, it is important to use the right Kubla Cubed tool to import your data: The ‘Triangle Surface’ tool can import triangulated poly-face meshes.

However, when the intent is to import contours, breaklines and/or points data, the ‘Feature Surface’ tool should be used.

It sounds like, in your situation, you need to create a ‘Feature Surface’, then select the 'Contours' tab and import the contours using the ‘Add contours from site plan/file’ option.

We have a instructional video called, 'Working with CAD' which I think you’ll find useful to further inform on using the ‘Feature Surface’ to import CAD data:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br-YsVH8V74

Update to video: Since Kubla Cubed 2017, we have made many improvements to the software and Kubla Cubed 2021 now supports DWG, with the ability to import data to other elements, such as the platform.

Cheers,
Virag

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2021, 09:44 AM by timetomaketracks.)

Thanks Virag

When I try and import via Feature Surface a box opens up named Load Contours which shows the contours in the 'Original Data' area but nothing in the 'Extracted Data' area even after trying various filter selections and 'Set from Sample' selection.

All the data is there, but the software doesn't seem to be able to recognise it...?

Any ideas?

(09-24-2021, 08:44 AM)timetomaketracks Wrote: Thanks Virag

When I try and import via Feature Surface a box opens up named Load Contours which shows the contours in the 'Original Data' area but nothing in the 'Extracted Data' area even after trying various filter selections and 'Set from Sample' selection.

All the data is there, but the software doesn't seem to be able to recognise it...?

Any ideas?

All sorted - OS contour data had been provided as a Block - needed to explode to create polylines!

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

All sorted - OS contour data had been provided as a Block - needed to explode to create polylines!

Hi timetomaketracks,

I was just drafting a reply suggesting this solution.
I'm happy that you managed to resolve the issue.

Cheers,
Virag