Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Swales

Photo 

I have to assess the quantities of a long swale around a property. As typical the swale is wider at the top than it is at the bottom, meaning that the batters are in effect negative. However, by design the batter is steeper on one side than it is on the other (see attached profile)

How do I do this inside of Kubla?

Thanks

Kevin

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-11-2018, 03:08 PM)KevinD Wrote: I have to assess the quantities of a long swale around a property. As typical the swale is wider at the top than it is at the bottom, meaning that the batters are in effect negative. However, by design the batter is steeper on one side than it is on the other (see attached profile)

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I find the easiest and quickest way is as follows:
Use Feature Surface,
For the top of the swale levels, use Outline, Draw, Use ground levels and mark out the perimeter.
For the swale base, use Breaks, Draw, Define Levels and enter levels as you mark out the base perimeter.
Click ok and job done.

Cheers

Tim

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2018, 01:35 PM by Ted Woods.)

(07-12-2018, 09:29 AM)TimO Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 03:08 PM)KevinD Wrote: I have to assess the quantities of a long swale around a property. As typical the swale is wider at the top than it is at the bottom, meaning that the batters are in effect negative. However, by design the batter is steeper on one side than it is on the other (see attached profile)

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I find the easiest and quickest way is as follows:
Use Feature Surface,
For the top of the swale levels, use Outline, Draw, Use ground levels and mark out the perimeter.
For the swale base, use Breaks, Draw, Define Levels and enter levels as you mark out the base perimeter.
Click ok and job done.

Cheers

Tim

There is another option we sometimes recommend which is to use two intersecting platforms. 

Basically you create one platform for the swale with the steeper side slopes and the in the same phase overwrite one side with platform with shallower side slopes, ensuring that its other side is well within the base of the other platform.

Make sure both platforms have Mode set to "Cut Only".

It's quicker so can be good for prototyping however I think Tim's method is better as it's less messy, more intuitive and you have more control.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the responses. My problems are compounded by:

1. The engineer has only indicated the profile of the swale at the bottom - it has to be a minimum of 9 feet wide.
2. Whilst the upper left hand side of the swale is reasonably easy to estimate (it runs around the perimeter of the construction zone) the right hand side is not so easy, because that edge will fall where the slope intersects with the ground level and that latter level varies.
3. The left hand slope is steep, almost 75 degrees. The right hand slope is shallow, which means that the two platform approach simply doesn't work because the extent of the shallow slope extends further than the steeper, no matter how narrow I make the actual platform.

Ted, in your absence, Leo (at Kubla) has been a star and has proposed another solution. I just haven't had the time to look into that one. I'll report back when I have.

Thanks again to all - I really appreciate the time and assistance given