Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Feature request - Phase manager

Would it be possible (or is it possible) to introduce something like a phase manager?

I have a project which consists of multiple standalone constructions, but each construction requires multiple phases of excavation.

Initially, I prepared each project phase on its own (with excavations required for construction and afterwards a "Fill phase" to finish off the project and another separate phase for the final landscaping phase. Now I get asked to shift my phasing around to have the most excavated phase of each construction zone combined, so I have to shift a lot of phases around.

My main issue is that with the amount of phases I have created the ribbon at the bottom, barely shows half of all my phases and moving 1 phase easily takes +15 seconds to move because Kubla immediately recalculates after each change. Having a "phase manager" where I could have a separate screen pop up with all my phases to shift around would be great. Especially if it wouldn't immediately start recalculating until I press confirm.

(05-08-2023, 08:37 AM)J.Hugelier Wrote: Would it be possible (or is it possible) to introduce something like a phase manager?

I have a project which consists of multiple standalone constructions, but each construction requires multiple phases of excavation.

Initially, I prepared each project phase on its own (with excavations required for construction and afterwards a "Fill phase" to finish off the project and another separate phase for the final landscaping phase. Now I get asked to shift my phasing around to have the most excavated phase of each construction zone combined, so I have to shift a lot of phases around.

My main issue is that with the amount of phases I have created the ribbon at the bottom, barely shows half of all my phases and moving 1 phase easily takes +15 seconds to move because Kubla immediately recalculates after each change. Having a "phase manager" where I could have a separate screen pop up with all my phases to shift around would be great. Especially if it wouldn't immediately start recalculating until I press confirm.

it sounds like you're trying to move objects between phases as well. I think that would be a great addition.

Moving phases around in kubla is like excel it's the best i've seen. 
If you have that many phases you might be better off creating multiple project files for separate work areas / sites / phases.

(05-08-2023, 12:18 PM)msnowdowne Wrote:
(05-08-2023, 08:37 AM)J.Hugelier Wrote: Would it be possible (or is it possible) to introduce something like a phase manager?

it sounds like you're trying to move objects between phases as well. I think that would be a great addition.

Moving phases around in kubla is like excel it's the best i've seen. 
If you have that many phases you might be better off creating multiple project files for separate work areas / sites / phases.

If the project was laid out with physical barriers in between (like other buildings or roads) it would make more sense to split it off into separate files. But in this case everything happens in the same big field basically. So I need everything to be in the same project. The roads between the buildings wil be built after we complete the buildings themselves, so our contractor for the excavation wants the complete picture. We use our Kubla models for both GPS-enabled excavations based on the CAD exports as well as quantity control from the quantity reports.

I have 8 different buildings with 4+ phases each.
1 for excavating the lowest point of the structural floor
1 for excavating everything underneath (elevator shafts, foundations of varying shapes and sizes,...) since they use a smaller excavator for these tasks
1 placeholder phase in which I fill out the volume of the new construction
1 for filling up the sides of the buildings after construction
1 for filling up the final 30cm layer of soil
Sometimes extra phases are required for multileveled or larger basements, these might not all be excavated all at once.

Originally I set up these 5 phases per building, but now the contractor wants a CAD file of all excavated buildings in 1 CAD export, so I have to move all the first phases of each building to the front of the project.
I agree that the system we have now is very intuitive, but because I have to move my phases from 1 end to the other it would be more convenient to have a vertical list where I can move my order around before Kubla recalculates everything.

It isn't the first time I encounter a similar situation, and its manageable, but it can be kind of a hassle...
Just having a button to pause Kubla from recalculating until you are done moving the phases around would be great tbh.

Hi J.Hugelier,

Welcome to the forums!

Within Kubla Cubed 2021, there are two ways to move the phases. The first is to right click and then select 'Move Left' or 'Move Right'. The other option is to hold the left mouse button down and then drag the phase to the new position.

We are currently implementing a large number of new features that originate from user's product requests; we will add your suggestion for a phase manager to the list for future consideration. In the medium term, Kubla Cubed 2023, when released, will be able to help with your current issue.

Kubla Cubed 2023 will feature the ability to disable elements. So you would be able to disable all elements in all phases, make your changes to the phase order and then enable the elements again. This will help, because the disabled elements will not be included in the calculations.

Cheers,
Rich