Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Phase Duplication Tool

Sometimes for a large building site, I'd like to separate the extent of Cut and Fill as a visual tool. 

To enable this, would be handy if we had a *duplicate* tool for phases so that we can review and highlight which shapes/features are to be noted as filled after the fact, particularly if controlled fill material was required to be imported (e.g. car park cuts where site fill was nominated to be Class B/C Rock on an existing  clay substrate.

(07-11-2023, 12:58 AM)DavidL Wrote: Sometimes for a large building site, I'd like to separate the extent of Cut and Fill as a visual tool. 

To enable this, would be handy if we had a *duplicate* tool for phases so that we can review and highlight which shapes/features are to be noted as filled after the fact, particularly if controlled fill material was required to be imported (e.g. car park cuts where site fill was nominated to be Class B/C Rock on an existing  clay substrate.

Hi David

Currently, there is no 'clone phase tool' available. However, you can copy and paste all the elements from one phase to another by following these steps:
  1. Select the first element in the list.
  2. Hold down the 'Shift' key.
  3. Select the last element in the list.
  4. Click on 'Edit' in the top menu and choose 'Copy' (or use the Ctrl+C shortcut).
  5. Create a new phase and navigate to 'Edit' and choose 'Paste' (or use the Ctrl+V shortcut).
  6. Some users, when nearing the end of their project, prefer to copy and paste the entire project file and create a version that is broken down into different phases of work.
It's important to note that when elements are within a single phase, they can override each other (with relative elements, it can be slightly more complex as they typically act on lower absolute elements). However, by breaking them into separate phases, this overriding dynamic is eliminated. Just be mindful of any intersections between elements.

Another useful feature in Kubla Cubed 2023 (coming in late September), albeit slightly different, is a new visual representation that displays elements with simple colours. This can be beneficial for showcasing separate reporting areas and serve as a visual guide to help stakeholders understand how 'cut' and 'fill' relate to specific elements (e.g., car park, buildings, etc.).

I will add the 'Copy\Paste' phase to our suggestions spreadsheet. I think it wasn't done initially as when you click 'Copy' both a phase and elements are selected so it is unclear what the user wants to copy.  However we could have phase copy on the right click menu for the phase.

Thanks Ted,

that work around worked well and was easy to utilise once I understood the process.