Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Difficulty Getting Started with Lite

I've downloaded Kubla Cubed 2024 and after several days of experimenting am having no success getting started with my project. The user interface doesn't appear to be the same as those that appear in the manual or videos so I have yet to be able to figure out how to properly import a CAD file survey of the property to get started. There seems to be at least two methods to import and edit them, but have not found which method I should use in my situation. I can import the file, but am not able to select the property boundary to serve as an outline or edit other features. The file contains elevations points (also available in a .csv file), 1' contours, and a TIN, as well as pavement, building and other features.

Are there training videos that are specific to the 2024 version? I believe it to be Lite as it is the free version.

I've had a fair amount of experience with some CAD, drawing and GIS software, so I'm not totally green to this type of software. Just a bit lost and frustrated with this one so far. Have read quite a few glowing reviews so I'm not willing to give up as yet. Hope someone can point me in the proper direction to get myself properly educated.

All the best,

Tom

Attached Files Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2024, 09:33 AM by Ted Woods.)

(07-20-2024, 11:00 PM)Tom Wrote: I've downloaded Kubla Cubed 2024 and after several days of experimenting am having no success getting started with my project. The user interface doesn't appear to be the same as those that appear in the manual or videos so I have yet to be able to figure out how to properly import a CAD file survey of the property to get started. There seems to be at least two methods to import and edit them, but have not found which method I should use in my situation. I can import the file, but am not able to select the property boundary to serve as an outline or edit other features. The file contains elevations points (also available in a .csv file), 1' contours, and a TIN, as well as pavement, building and other features.

Are there training videos that are specific to the 2024 version? I believe it to be Lite as it is the free version.

I've had a fair amount of experience with some CAD, drawing and GIS software, so I'm not totally green to this type of software. Just a bit lost and frustrated with this one so far. Have read quite a few glowing reviews so I'm not willing to give up as yet. Hope someone can point me in the proper direction to get myself properly educated.

All the best,

Tom

Hi Tom 

Welcome to the forums. 

I have taken a look at your data.  It seems good in the main, apart from the TIN.  

I am assuming that all the data apart from the PDF contain existing data : 

Existing Data 

TopoX.DWG Contains 

      TIN 

Recommended Approach

Usually the TIN is used, in this case it can't be imported in Kubla Cubed as a triangle surface as it is not made up of triangle entities in CAD but is lines.  However, you can import them into a feature surface as break-lines.  It is worth noting that any of the other options would have also been possible contours, points etc...

I notice the TIN stops shy of defining the buildings.  I would trace these into the existing surface as contour lines (closed) and set them to the expected demolition level of the buildings in the existing.

Proposed Data

PDF vectors with amended contours.  You PDF has some marked scales that we can use and then align with the imported CAD data.  Aligning would require for you to mark two co-ordinates on the file.  The approach of inputting an entire contour set with small areas of changes is not a good one.  It is based to focus changes only on the area of disturbance.  Can you let me know what changes you are actually making to the existing.  It could be that there are much easier ways of creating your proposed design.  Manually editing contours is sometimes necessary but often geometric primitives like Kubla Cubed's platform and slope elements are far more effective.  You can then always generate a contour set of your design if needed as part of the documentation.

From what I could see the existing and proposed were intended to be the same in many areas.  duplicating the data in an area and expecting no cut and fill isn't quite correct, because of the knock-on effect of changing one area in the TIN can change the whole structure of other areas of the TIN.  Therefore, there is cut & fill.  It is important to limit calculations to only those areas which are to be disturbed in a TIN based volume calculation engine.