Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Converting DXF to TP3

Hello,

I am working with a client who uses Topcon for all of his Earth-Moving work. He will need all topographical surveys and plans in Topcon format (.TP3). The go-to software for this conversion from DXF or DWG to TP3 is Topcon 3D-Office. Topcon's MAGNET Office can also be used, and is the later software for performing file conversions.

When I attempt to import a DXF from Kubla Cubed into MAGNET Office, (R13 or R14 type DXF formats work the best) The contour lines all transfer over, but only the first polygon surface section will transfer. I have not found a way to get the entire polygon surface to transfer. Perhaps this is still a file format issue.

Also, if I try to import into Topcon 3D-Office, the contour lines will transfer in. When I try to add the TIN from the DXF, and error window appears saying "DWG file has no 3D face entities!"

I must assume that the polygon surface generated by Kubla Cubed, is perhaps a different type of surface than what Topcon is searching for. This surface appears just fine in Civil 3D. Topcon seems to be the limiting factor.

I am working with Topcon to try and resolve this issue, but if there is a known workaround in the Kubla Cubed community, that would be a great help.

Missing surfaces in MAGNET Office

Derek

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2024, 05:16 AM by RaisinToe.)

I think I got it working correctly. Kubla Cubed generates the surface as a Polyface Mesh in the CAD files. A Surface has to be created from this PolyFace Mesh: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-...-p/6954680

I got this to work once. It was a surprise when I finally got it to work, so hopefully I can do it again Smile

If someone here knows of another way to do this conversion outside of Civil 3D (AutoCad), that would be great. Or maybe Kubla Cubed can do it. The whole point of using Kubla Cubed was to avoid paying for Civil 3D, which now I have to use to make this one conversion for Topcon.

Hi Raisin Toe,

I believe that QGIS can convert a polymesh into a tin, but I've never had to do this.

QGIS is a fantastic piece open-source software, so completely free to use, even if you choose not to donate.

Cheers

Ian

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2024, 02:52 PM by RaisinToe.)

(08-03-2024, 10:59 AM)Kasael Wrote: Hi Raisin Toe,

I believe that QGIS can convert a polymesh into a tin, but I've never had to do this.

QGIS is a fantastic piece open-source software, so completely free to use, even if you choose not to donate.

Cheers

Ian

Kasael, thank you,

I just tried this as you suggested, but it appears that the DXF importer plugin "AnotherDXFImporter" is only compatible with DXF file versions 2000 and earlier. Kubla Cubed only generates DXF files down to 2007. I tried 2007, and it wouldn't import.

Okay, I just exported a 2007 Bin DXF file from Kubla Cubed. When exporting, I unchecked the "Shade Surface" option in order to have a single PolyFace Mesh rather than the multiple PolyFace Meshes representing the different shades. Now Topcon's MAGNET Office recognizes the single PolyFace Mesh as a surface. This allows me to go strait from Kubla Cubed to Topcon.

(08-03-2024, 02:22 PM)RaisinToe Wrote:
(08-03-2024, 10:59 AM)Kasael Wrote: Hi Raisin Toe,

Cheers

Ian

Kasael, thank you,

I just tried this as you suggested, but it appears that the DXF importer plugin "AnotherDXFImporter" is only compatible with DXF file versions 2000 and earlier. Kubla Cubed only generates DXF files down to 2007. I tried 2007, and it wouldn't import.

Okay, I just exported a 2007 Bin DXF file from Kubla Cubed. When exporting, I unchecked the "Shade Surface" option in order to have a single PolyFace Mesh rather than the multiple PolyFace Meshes representing the different shades. Now Topcon's MAGNET Office recognizes the single PolyFace Mesh as a surface. This allows me to go strait from Kubla Cubed to Topcon.

Hi Raisin,

CAD cannot shade triangles seperately. As a workaround, Kubla Cube's Shade Surface option within CAD export, cuts the mesh into different areas/clusters for different colours. This results in multiple meshes, which may not be suitable for import to other software. Unchecking this option will retain the original mesh integrity.

Your solution is correct and will be added to the manual.

Thanks, Rich